Introduction Documentation Background
Published papers that describe the SG4 dish in detail are:
“ANU’s new 500 m² paraboloidal dish solar concentrator”. K Lovegrove, G Burgess, D McCready, J Pye. . Light Weight Structures Association of Australia conference, 29, 30 October 2009. (SG4_Lovegrove_etal_LSAASep09)
“A new 500 m² paraboloidal dish solar concentrator”. K Lovegrove, G Burgess, J Pye. Solar Energy 85 (2011) 620–626. (SolarEnergySG4Published)
“Direct steam generation using the SG4 500m2 paraboloidal dish concentrator”. G Burgess, K Lovegrove, S Mackie, J Zapata and J Pye, Proceedings of SolarPACES 2011, Granada, Spain, Sept 2011. (SG4 DSG_SolarPaces 2011 paper 41167)
A large number of detailed reports were produced at ANU to document:
- The conceptual design process
- The detailed design process
- The prototype construction and commissioning
These have not been released publicly, however the titles illustrate the topics that were covered and the author lists show the key individuals involved. Details are:
- Keith Lovegrove, David McCready . Building the SG4 Generation II Big Dish prototype on the ANU campus. ANU report number STG TR 71, December 2009, 296 pages.
- K. Lovegrove, G. Burgess, D Mc Cready. Details of the construction processes employed on the SG4 Dish. ANU report number STG TR 72, December 2009, 148 pages.
- Keith Lovegrove, Greg Burgess, David McCready, Rob Brunswick. Dish frame assembly jig for the SG4 solar dish. ANU report number STG TR 68, December 2009, 60 pages.
- Greg Burgess, Rob Brunswick and Keith Lovegrove. Metrology systems for dish construction. ANU report number STG TR 69, December 2009, 68 pages.
- K Lovegrove, D McCready, J Preston. Site works and foundations for the SG4 dish. ANU report number STG TR 67, December 2009, 145pages.
- Greg Burgess, Ashley Kearton, Rob Brunswick, Keith Lovegrove. Mirror panel production and installation for the SG4 Dish. ANU report number STG TR 62, December 2009, 90 pages.
- Keith Lovegrove. Design of the Generation II Big Dish Solar Concentrator for Wizard Power. ANU report number STG TR 70, December 2009, 93 pages.
- Greg Burgess, Kevin Yeh, Joe Coventry, Keith Lovegrove, Jessica Preston, John Garzoli. Generation II Big Dish mirror panel development: construction and materials. ANU report number STG TR 59, December 2009, 138 pages.
- Greg Burgess, Paul Scott and Keith Lovegrove. Generation II Big Dish mirror panel development: shape conformance and optics. ANU report number STG TR 60, December 2009, 130pages.
- Jessica Preston, Kevin Yeh, Joe Coventry, Keith Lovegrove, Greg Burgess. Generation II Big Dish Mirror Panel attachment and structural contribution . ANU report number STG TR 61, December 2009, 127pages.
- Jessica Preston, Joe Coventry Keith Lovegrove, Kevin Yeh. Developing the detailed design of actuation and movement facilitation for the Generation II Big Dish. ANU report number STG TR 63, December 2009, 285pages.
- Jessica Preston, Keith Lovegrove, Joe Coventry, Geoff Major. Flattened end Circular Hollow Section members for the Generation II Big Dish. ANU report number STG TR 64, December 2009, 282pages.
- Joe Coventry, Jessica Preston, John Pye, Keith Lovegrove. Front surface fabrication for the Generation II Big Dish. ANU report number STG TR 65, December 2009, 267pages.
- Wie Joe, John Pye, Keith Lovegrove. Structural calculations for the development of the Generation II Big Dish. ANU report number STG TR 66, December 2009, 213 pages.
- Burgess, Yeh, Coventry, Lovegrove, Johnston. Mirror design Progress Report. ANU Report number STG TR 58.
- J. Coventry, G. Burgess, K. Lovegrove, “Determination of Loads on Altitude Azimuth Tracking Paraboloidal Dish Solar Concentrators”. ANU Technical Report STG-TR-47, July 2007. 26 pages.
- K. Lovegrove, J. Pye, K. Yeh ,W. Joe. “Selection of mirror panel size and shape for the Generation II Big Dish”. ANU Technical Report STG-TR-53, July 2007. 67 pages.
- J Coventry, K Lovegrove, J Preston, W Joe. “Cost based screening of movement and mounting concepts for the Generation II Big Dish solar concentrator”. ANU Technical report STG-TR-51, October 2006. 101 pages.
- J Pye, J Preston, K Yeh, K Lovegrove, J Coventry. “Foundations for large paraboloidal dish solar concentrators.” ANU Technical Report STG – TR – 50, November 2006. 98 pages.
- J Coventry, J Preston, K Lovegrove, K Yeh, G Burgess. “Investigation of available actuation mechanisms for movement of large solar concentrators”. ANU Technical Report STG – TR – 46, September 2006. 142 Pages.
- J Preston, W Joe, G Burgess, K Lovegrove. “Investigation of structure background issues for large solar dish concentrators”. ANU Technical Report STG – TR – 48, September 2006. 118 pages.
- G Burgess, J Coventry, W Joe, K Lovegrove, G major. “Audit of the ANU dish based solar thermal power technology”. ANU Technical Report STG – TR – 45, June 2006. 183 pages.
Three patents were established around the key innovations in the 500m2 dish design:
- Australian PCT application AU20089002867, application date 6 June 2008 K Lovegrove, J Coventry, R Brunswick, G Burgess, W Joe, J Preston. ( DishStructurePatent_Lovegrove_etal_WO2009146511A1.)
- Solar Panel Mirrors and Their Manufacture. Australian PCT application AU 2009901467, application date 6 April 2009, K Lovegrove, G Burgess, J Pye, J Coventry, R Brunswick. (MirrorPanelsPatent_Lovegrove_et al_WO2010115237A1)
- Mirror Panels for Large Area Solar Concentrators. K Lovegrove, G Johnston, G Burgess. (MirrorPanelsPatent2_Lovegrove_etal_WO2012024738A1)
The first one relates to the various innovations embodied in the dish frame design, in particular the use of compliant curved rolled sections that are then held in place on an accurate jig before being riveted to form a square lattice.
The second and third are somewhat overlapping and relate to the fabrication of the composite mirror panels which are both accurate and mass produceable and also able to contribute to the structural properties of the dish.
These patents can also be found with relevant details via: